Powder Coating Wheel Services in Baltimore, MD
Have Your Powder Coating Done at Rim Doctor Today!
At Rim Doctor, we provide Glen Burnie, MD residents with precision powder coating services that will give your wheels a finish that is both durable and eye-catching. To ensure we deliver results that exceed your expectations, we use only the highest-quality powders from industry-leading suppliers. When it comes to changing the color of your vehicle’s wheels, body panels, and trim pieces through powder coat paint, Rim Doctor is the team for the job! Our comprehensive powder coating process ensures that you will receive consistent, unrivaled results, time and time again.
What Is Powder Coating?
Powder coating is a method used to efficiently change the color of your vehicle’s rims and various other body parts. During this process, ground particles made of pigments and resin are electronically charged and sprayed onto your wheels, trim pieces, or panels. The electrostatic charge forces these particles to adhere to any metal surface onto which they are sprayed. The part of your vehicle that is coated is then baked in an industrial oven, allowing these particles to blend and cure. As a result, you are left with a durable, high-quality, and attractive coat and finish that makes your vehicle’s exterior really pop! At Rim Doctor, we highly recommend powder coating to customers looking for a cost-effective way to jazz up their vehicle’s appearance.
What Are the Benefits of Powder Coating Your Wheels?
As professionals in the industry, the team at Rim Doctor has found that powder coating is great when it comes to appearance. It offers an immaculate finish, excellent protection from scratches, and even fades less over time! Sound good? We think so too! Below are some more benefits of powder coating we know you’ll love:
- Higher resistance – Powder coating provides a non-porous surface shield that is far more resistant to wear and tear than traditional paint options. Wheels with powder coat paint will be able to withstand even the most unforgiving roads with ease.
- Durability – Once your wheels have been sprayed with powder coating particles, they will be baked in an oven at very high temperatures. This baking process causes the particles to fuse, allowing the powder coating to cure. As a result, you are let with a highly-durable surface that is known to last at least three times longer than traditional painting.
- Better for the environment – Opting for powder coat paint is an eco-friendly option because liquid paints contain volatile organic compounds that are not only harmful to the ozone, but also to anyone who breathes them. Powder coating contains no dangerous, volatile organic compounds, and can be easily recycled.
- Better coverage – Compared to liquid paints, powder coating provides much better coverage. Due to the electrostatic method combined with the curing process, even the most difficult-to-reach spots on your rims will receive adequate coverage.
- Saves you money – The durability and longevity of powder coating are undeniable. Though this method may cost a bit more upfront, it’s important to take into consideration that choosing powder coating over traditional wheel paint will cost you much less money in the long run.
What Does the Process of Powder Coating Your Wheels Entail?
Unlike the traditional painting process, powder coating relies on an electric charge for the powder to stick to your vehicle rather than relying on an adhesive. Though this may sound extensive, the process is relatively simple and can be completed in as little as an hour. Below, we have broken down the steps of powder coating so you can understand what goes into this method:
- Step One – To start, the tires are removed, as well as any weights and valves. The wheels will be pressure washed to remove any dirt and grime, and then placed into a chemical stripping tank to remove old paint. We will then pressure wash the wheels once again to ensure we have a clean surface.
- Step Two – The wheels will be lightly material blasted to remove corrosion or blemishes and then thoroughly inspected for any damages. The wheel faces and spokes are subsequently filled using alloy tungsten inert gas (TIG) welding and then machined using various machining techniques and hand tools.
- Step Three – The wheels are pre-heated in an industrial oven to 400 degrees for 20 minutes to de-gas the alloy, and the powder coat primer is applied. The wheels are then cooled to 150 degrees, and if they require custom color or bespoke finish, they will be spray painted and put back into the oven for another 40 minutes to cure. A final clear coat is then applied, and the wheels are put right back in the oven at 200 degrees for an additional 20 minutes.
- Step Four – Once completely cooled, the wheels are fitted with new valves, the tires are refitted, and the wheels are electronically balanced. Balancing weights will be placed on the inside of the wheels so that they don’t take away from the appearance of the high-quality finish.
Powder Coating vs. Painting Wheels
Even though wheel paint is a low-cost and well-known method, there are undeniable benefits that come with choosing powder coating. For one, paint is much more vulnerable to scratching and chipping, while powder coat paint provides a more durable finish. Additionally, powder coating extends the life of your wheels by thoroughly cleaning, coating, and protecting them from corrosion. Painting can actually cause your wheels to corrode prematurely and does not shield the wheel against harsh road conditions, making them wear down more quickly. Furthermore, powder coating maintains a consistent and professional appearance, while traditional wheel paint can only offer short-term solutions and will often call for costly repeat applications.
Visit Us Today for A Free Estimate!
If you’re a Glen Burnie, MD resident who needs comprehensive powder coating services, Rim Doctor is here to bring your vehicle to the next level! As a premier wheel repair company, we guarantee to deliver unrivaled restoration and superior customer service. We’ll work with you every step of the way to ensure your needs are met and that we can enhance your vehicle in just the way you envisioned. We look forward to working with you! Contact us now to request a free estimate
Why Choose Us?
- Same Day Service
- Locally Owned & Operated
- Over 15 Years of Experience
- Mobile Service
- Free Estimates